Wednesday, June 15, 2011

My Favorite Yard Sale Find

I love yard sales. I love to redo furniture and make it my own. I've showed pictures of this hutch before, but I've linked up to the Best Yard Sale Finds Ever at the Nesting Place. I bought this hutch at a yard sale for $40. I didn't really want the top part and it's now being used as a garage for our vast collection of Tonka trucks. I wanted a sofa table. When I put it on the back of our sofa, it was a little too high so I decided I'd put it in this corner of the room that is kind of a waste of space. It may not be a usable space, (there are stairs that come down in the bottom left corner) but it's a decoratable space!

The hutch sat in this boring state for a few months. I couldn't decide what I wanted to do. At the time we were looking for a new sofa and in the stores I had seen some colored furniture that I loved. Did I dare to go that bold though? I thought of doing it antique white and glazing it, plain black, but I then I gave in. I decided if I hated it, it was just paint and I could always repaint it. I decided on this teal color.

I restained the top in a darker mahogany color. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but I was glad I didn't have to do the legs!

Here is that corner of the room now! That black frame is also a yard sale find that was brass. Thanks for coming to my little sewing/ decorating site!





1 comment:

Barb said...

You are amazing, it looks fantastic!!!