Friday, February 20, 2009

One of These Things is Not Like the Others

I've been busy lately. So, so busy. Between volunteering in kindergarten, running errands and getting ready for my quilt class I have also been looking for another adoption agency. We have been registered with one agency for over a year and haven't had much luck at all. The average wait with this agency is 2-3 years but we just don't want to wait that long. Also, that's average. It could take longer. The last several weeks my time has been divided between calling around to other agencies, doing LOTS of online homework on different agencies and making sure we have all our paperwork and profile pages so that we can be shown. We've actually been at this for several months, and have everything in with two other agencies besides the original. The last few weeks I have felt the need to look into two additional agencies for more info. Needless to say my quilt time has been very, very limited and only then I only have time to do what I need for my class and for my block exchange in two weeks.

Yesterday I was busy on the phone with both new agencies and also trying to track down other adoptive couples who have used these agencies to get an idea of how they work. I had a meeting with a case worker at our first agency and came home and got back to working with the other agencies. You have to be so careful in adoption because there is a lot of dishonesty. The good news is that I feel good about both these agencies.
The bad news is when I sat down last night to work on my blocks for the exchange this is what I came up with. When I was sewing the sub blocks together I couldn't figure out why I didn't have enough pieces to this fabric. When I sewed the rows together and looked at the block I realized why. Apparently my mind was somewhere else. Well, I was out of time at that point and put it away for a few hours while I made dinner, got my 5 year old off to karate, and scanned in our adoptive parent profile to overnight out of state.
Then I took a break and started to unpick. I finally had it all together and was ready to iron when I realized I had done it again! Ahhhhhh! You would think that when I had made a mistake once I would be thinking clearly enough to do it the right way again. Apparently not. Does anyone else have sewing days like this?


I guess third time is the charm because I finally got it right. Hopefully we will find our baby soon so things will calm down a little. I know that's the opposite of most people, but when you enter the world of adoption the finding then the waiting is the hardest part. It does calm down once your baby arrives..... no matter how many times they wake up in the night or how much they cry. You are just so thankful to have a baby to get up with in the night that it all makes it worth it. Until then I'll just keep swimming.

3 comments:

Michaela said...

I sure have days like this and I can get really frustrated and just leave the whole idea of sewing that day. You seem to be very patient with it.
Good luck with finding your baby. There is so many of them in need, why do they make it so hard to adopt them.

Camille said...

YES. I think all my sewing days are like this! Glad I'm not the only one.

So, I am working on updating my project galleries on my website and was wondering if you would mind if I posted a picture of your jelly filled quilt. I love it!! Let me know!

Kristin said...

I almost like it with the arrow pointing outward better!