Monday, April 26, 2010

Ties!

On Friday I set out to make ties for my boys. Have you ever looked for ties for little boys when it's not Easter or Christmas? They are quite difficult to find. I decided to make them myself.
Here is the finished product. I haven't made the second tie yet because some changes need to be made to the pattern I used. It called for light weight, one sided, fusible interfacing. This tie is super thick. When my 6 year old wore it to church yesterday the points of his collar stuck up. The knot was super thick. So my question is this.... if I leave out the interfacing will it make the tie wrinkle super easy? Will it be way too thin? What would you do?

5 comments:

erica e said...

what a cute tie! did you use regular quilting cotton? i don't know what to say about the thickness. perfect fabric for a little boy tie! i've been wanting to try to make a tie for awhile so i'm glad to see someone else try it first. :)

Barb said...

Love your ties.... I made a lot of ties for my one son about four years ago....

Marcene Perry said...

I think the interfacing is just to make it easier to slip stitch together. It hold everything in place while you are hand stitching it.
What kind of fabric did you use? Cottons will be bulkier, like the ones I made for Jonathan and Sean. But if you tie a single windsor instead of a double it's smaller.
I want to try and find some silky patterned fabrics that would work for the boys, but haven't yet!

Nicole said...

I made my nephews some ties using this pattern: http://www.purlbee.com/little-boys-tie/

I used quilting cotton, and a super thin sew in interfacing. They turned out really cute.....it is mainly hand sewn though.

Nanette Merrill said...

My mom used to make ties! I haven't heard of anyone else doing this lately. I love it. My son has 3 ties and usually wears the same one to church EVERY week. Darn him, but it is hard to get a teenager to wear what I like. Your ties are great.