Friday, September 18, 2009

My Favorite Applique Method

This week I taught an applique class so I thought I'd post on here the directions to my favorite applique method.

The first thing I do is trace the pattern onto freezer paper. Cut out each individual piece separately.
Next, iron the shiny side of the freezer paper onto light cardboard (I use a cereal box or something of similar weight).
Next iron the shiny side of the freezer paper onto the back of the fabric you are going to be using. Then cut a generous quarter inch around your shape. You want to make sure you leave enough space for the tighter edges.

Once your shape is cut out move it to your ironing board and spray it with spray starch. I just use the cheap kind you can buy at Target for 99 cents.
Place the cardboard shape in the middle of your starched fabric when the starch is still wet. Carefully iron the fabric around the cardboard shape. You will want to clip the inside curves. Keep the cardboard inside the fabric until the starch is completely dry, then carefully remove the cardboard. Now you have the shape you need and your seam allowance stays under for you.
Next lay your pieces out on the background fabric and pin in place with applique pins. Stitch using your favorite applique method. Now, this method is certainly not the only way to prepare to applique. However, I think it is the easiest way to have a nice product that does not have raw edges.

2 comments:

The Rabbit Factory said...

Great technique...thanks for sharing!

Nanette Merrill said...

Really really cute. I learned a new technique for more complicated layered applique from Lori Holt. I love seeing how everyone does their projects.